I’ve been on kind of an apple kick lately. In case you didn’t know, my hubby and I recently moved to beautiful Wenatchee, Washington. Not only is it a gorgeous town with a lovely hometown feel, but it happens to be the apple capital of the world. Not a bad title!
Just a couple miles down the road from us is the retail outlet for the world-famous fruit growers – Stemilt. It’s a cute little shop, stocked full of some of the best apples you’ll ever try. This week I grabbed an armful of Pink Lady apples and headed over to the Stemilt blog for inspiration. They call it the Stem Blog, and it’s a great place to find all kinds of recipes for apples, pears, and cherries.
Anyway, I was particularly drawn to a tasty little number combining apples, broccoli, and some other chunky goodies, and used it as a starting point for this delicious, Pacific-Northwest-apple-inspired salad. You can find the original recipe at Stemilt.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/apples/apple-broccoli-salad. If you stop by their blog, be sure to check out some of their other recipes – there’s lots of yumminess to be found!
Chunky, crunchy, and fresh, this apple and broccolini salad is loaded with healthy, flavor-packed yumminess. It comes together in a jiffy and makes a perfect packable addition to a lunchbox or picnic.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (the juice of about 1 lemon)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup runny honey
- 2 apples, cored and cubed into bite-size pieces (look for apples with a nice crunch and acidity)
- 1 pound broccolini or broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup grapes, sliced in half
- 3 or 4 handfuls of pecans, walnuts, or other favorite nuts, roughly chopped
- Small bunch of chives, roughly chopped (about 1/4 cup chopped chives)
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and honey in a small bowl or jar.
- In a large bowl, toss together the apples, broccolini, grapes, nuts, and chives.
- Drizzle about half the lemon dressing over the salad and toss it all together. Give it a taste, and add the remaining dressing if desired. (I like using all of the dressing, but then again, I like things pretty zingy.)
Broccolini is my preference in this recipe, as it is sweeter and more fun to eat raw than regular broccoli (in my opinion), but good ol’ standard broccoli will be tasty, too.
Serve this salad up with some fresh bread, and a crisp glass of white or rosé as an entree, serve it as a zingy complement to grilled fish or pack it in a cute jar for a picnic or lunch to go.
Based on the Apple and Broccoli Salad recipe at Stemilt.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/apples/apple-broccoli-salad.
- Cuisine:Pacific Northwest
Recipe Card powered by